Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I just got back from vacation so I'll look this up tomorrow night, it's all layer styles so I'll post up the screenies.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Question

Can't get it to work. There either a step missing or I'm too dammed dumb to figure it out (I attended public school in the south).
    I'm using PS CS5 on a Mac (I know, elitist asshole, or just ass according to the Ex), and I'm consistently unable to get past step 21. I can get to that step, but once done I don't have anything remotely resembling the picture in the tutorial.
    There are, for me, some sticking points.

Step 10, when Merging Down, should I end up with a layer named "base" or "ocean"
    Step 20, I end up with 6 layers each time (eight successful attempts that have made it to step 20)
    Step 21, my feeble public school educated mind can't handle all this at once.
    So first I'm supposed to chose the "base" layer. Then I'm supposed to go to the Select menu, the choose Inverse. BUT, I can't. There's something that I'm supposed to do first, it just escapes my mind (was it ever there?) What is the point of this step? Maybe if I know what I'm supposed to accomplish, I can (with the help of magical cats) come up with a work around that won't fall out of my head.
    The picture in step 22 is not what I have at point. No matter what layer I hide or not. I'm assuming, again, that I'm supposed to be in the "Land" layer at that point. I've done that and ended up with thisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2010-10-10 at 11.01.57 PM.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	30089

With all that, where did I go wrong?
    Anyone, so my internal sarcasm can end.

Did I read that someone converted this tut to GIMP? Anyone have a link to it? Thanks.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ctrl-click on the base layer (in the layer palette)...on mac I think it's cmd-click. Then click back on the land layer. Select-Inverse. Hit the delete key on the keyboard. Deselect. Your land will now be trimmed to the shape of the base layer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow, that worked. I feel like i dropped 75 IQ points somewhere.
    Thanks
    You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Blog Entries

I cannot seem to find the link to Giddes conversion anywhere so here it is Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ascension's Atlas Style in GIMP(2).pdf 
Views:	7595 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	30650

Around page 22 or so someone mentioned a .zip file with Gidde's GIMP gradient file. I can't seem to find it anywhere though. Does anyone have it?

Thanks

Guild Novice

Default Complete novice to PS... Need some advice on Ascension's Atlas tutorial

Hi all,

I finally invested in a copy of Photoshop Elements 9.0 and I'm trying to work my way through this tutorial, but I've gotten stuck at step 21.

Ascension writes: "Add a layer style of gradient overlay;", but I can't seem to locate how to do this in PSE 9... When I click on the layers menu, I get the following options:
    New, Duplicate Layer, Delete Layer, Rename Layer, Layer Style (Drop Down Options = Style Settings & Hide All Effects), New Fill Layer (Drop Down Options = Solid Color, Gradient, Pattern), etcetera, etcetera...

I'm now a wee bit stumped as to where to go next and I'd appreciate any advice to remedy my inexperience with PSE 9!
    Thanks in advance,

Tom (Barbierossa)

Quote Originally Posted by lordnago View Post
    Around page 22 or so someone mentioned a .zip file with Gidde's GIMP gradient file. I can't seem to find it anywhere though. Does anyone have it?

Thanks
    I couldn't find a gradient file either. I worked around using a gradient by just creating a custom palette with the colors Ascension uses, and then just painting the colors onto the land color layer.

First, fill the entire layer with the dark green. Then, using a huge brush at 100% opacity paint in the white at the top where you want snow, and the desert color where you want desert! Then just select your smudge tool, set the opacity low, at like 25%, and smudge, smudge, smudge to create your gradient effects. I really liked the way it turned out. And this way you aren't limited to having the same color at the same lattitudes.

Gidde's GIMP conversion pdf (post 223 of this thread) should be included on the first page of this thread!!! I just discovered it yesterday and its a HUGE boon for us GIMP noobs.

I really want to go home and finish up what I had started last night and post my results... argh, stupid work.

Here's what I have so far following through Gidde's GIMP conversion. Next step is to download RobA's tapered stroke plugin and give it a go with making some rivers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ascension GIMP.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	564.5 KB 
ID:	31225

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast